Monday, July 24, 2006

Poker books and Rubik's cube

Back when I was in Junior High, I got a Rubik's cube for my birthday. I was in grade 8 I believe, maybe grade 7. So I set out attempting to do the cube. It took several months, but eventually I figured it out and was able to finish the cube. To this day I can still finish it. I'm no speed demon, it takes a while. The important thing is that I figured out how to do it on my own. I didn't read any of the books that were around. Some people did and they of course finished it sooner than I did. But what would be the challenge in that. Anyone can read a book and follow rote instructions. I'm glad I did it the way I did.

Later on in my university years I was interested in chess. Yes I'll get to poker eventually, it's my site, be patient. I knew how to move the pieces around and I'm pretty smart so I figured I should just win at an obvious thinking game. But I had usually lost before university. So I read a couple of chess books from the library. The books were quite enlightening. I got enough clues from the books to be able to beat my friends and the lowest levels of computer chess. You'd be surprised how tough level 1 is of computer chess if you aren't any good; and how easy it is once you have some minimal basic book knowledge.

I now own my first poker book. I won Harrington on Hold'em II from PokerKai's site. Thanks PokerKai. That book is a very interesting and enligtening read. Now I want to read HOH I and start playing big tournaments.

I had it in my mind to take the Rubik's cube approach to poker. Try to figure it out myself. That was modestly successful against very bad players. However I've realized from the 2+2 forums and now from HOH II that it's too much to just figure out by doing. I'd say poker is more than Rubik's cube and less than chess for complexity. Plus I just don't play enough hands to get the experience to learn by doing. So I could use some reading to accelerate the learning process.

If I was really serious about becoming a good player I'd get HOH I, and at least 2-3 other poker books and read them carefully at least once if not more. Then I'd have to invest in PT and PA HUD and use those tools. I don't really have the time or money right now to make those investments in getting really good at this. It's unlikely at my rate if I'll get far past my current 5c/10c micro stakes limit level. So be it I guess. It's an enjoyable hobby at least.

No comments: