Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Crying call

Sometimes you just have to call.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Qd, Qh.
Hero raises, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 1 fold, MP3 3-bets, 3 folds, BB calls, Hero caps, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, BB calls.

--> Good start. Ladies in EP. MP3 3-bettor is a fish. I considered just calling. I capped instead as QQ is premium and no reason to respect MP3 reraise. Also I was hoping MP1 would fold with 2 back to him as he seemed somewhat clueful.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 3d, Qc, Tc (4 players)
BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, BB folds.

--> I hit my set on the flop, taking the lead if I don't already have it. I thought about checkraising here but I was worried it might just be checked through. I didn't think any opponent caught any of this flop. I thought it would be better to bloat the pot instead and try to string people along and give me pot odds later if a scare card dropped. And nobody on a draw is going to fold to a CR bet anyway so I just bet out, hoping MP3 would raise.

Turn: (9.25 BB) [3d, Qc, Tc] Kc (2 players)
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls.

--> Turn is bad. Now both the straight and flush draws have come in. Villian raises, which makes me think he has a flush. Still I have 9 outs to a full house and 1 out to quads so I have pot odds to call the raise for one more card.

River: (13.25 BB) [3d, Qc, Tc Kc] 4s (2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.
Final Pot: 15.25 BB

--> No help on the river. I check/call, expecting to lose the hand. However sometimes a bad player will raise the turn with 2 pair against any board no matter how draw heavy. Plus he may have just been trying to bluff me out of the pot. My set only has to be good 1 in 14 times for this call to be profitable.

Results below:
Hero has Qd Qh (three of a kind, queens).
MP3 has 6c Jd (high card, king).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.25 BB.

To my surprise I did win the hand. It turns out his turn raise was a semi bluff on his straight draw. Then he tried a stone cold bluff bet with nothing on the river. His river bluff was a good play for the same reason my call was a good play. His bluff attempt only has to be successful 1 in 14 times for the bluff attempt to be profitable. Limit hold'em is interesting like that. A play can be profitable for both players.

No comments: