Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Taking a break

I've come to a decision about poker. I am resolving to quit playing for a while. The reason is not because of losing or not enjoying it. I'm winning at limit hold'em, and I enjoy playing, reading poker blogs and the 2+2 forums, and writing about poker.

The reasons are basically non poker related. I find I'm often tired at work, more tired than in previous years it seems. If I spend less time around poker then I can get some more rest which I feel I badly need.

The other thing is that there is this other project that I really should be doing that I've been procrastinating getting started. The problem is that poker is too compelling and if I have free time then I can't motivate myself to get that other project going. So I think by quitting poker that will force me to start and finish the other project, if only so I can get back to the tables. The other project will take a few months I estimate.

It's not a bad time for a break. I've been playing for a little over a year. I've gone from not knowing if a flush beats a straight to winning at real money. I'm pleased with my progress; I didn't get to spend as much time on it as I would have really liked to. The next phase would be to invest the time and money in books to get better, and bankroll to take shots at higher levels in limit and give tournaments a proper chance to be successful.

So the break plan. Starting well, now, just stop playing until the end of this year. Get that other project off the ground and really going. I guess it's OK to just log in once a month to keep my account active and my crummy 18 FPPs around. But otherwise no playing, also no poker reading or writing. Reevaluate in January my progress and status.

No comments: