Monday, August 07, 2006

Moneymaker Millionaire

So PokerStars is sponsoring a huge $2.5 million freeroll called the Moneymaker Millionaire. The first round qualifying tournaments had like 10,000 people at the start. Last I checked it was down to around 6500. Only the top 50 from the first round qualies advance to the weekly 2nd round events. So better to wait to take the shot at it.

I get a free entry but I don't think I'm going to bother with it. What's the chance of finishing in the top one half of 1% in the first round, followed by doing it again in the second round, to get yet another longshot chance in the monthly round three. Good luck to whoever tries it out. I guess someone has to win it.

When I first saw it I thought how totally appropriate to use Chris Moneymaker. He seems like a likeable guy, but what has he accomplished since his 2003 WSOP win? His WSOP success is widely viewed as a fantastic fluke, combining pretty good (not necessarily world class) poker skill with an incredible run of good fortune to win. That's about what it will take for someone to emerge from this truly massive field to win a big prize. Above average tournament poker skills, plus an unimaginable run of good luck.

No comments: