Sunday, August 16, 2009

MTT cash

I cashed in an UltimateBet tournament for the first time recently. I finished 15th out of around 250 in a $2.20 event for around a $6 payout. Since my UltimateBet bonus expired I've reorganized my online play a bit. I play cash on Stars and tournaments on UltimateBet. My cash game lately is mostly $10 NL.

I'm defining MTT a bit more strictly. I have had some multi table tournament success this year. I've won a couple $2.20/90 man tourneys on Stars. But those are strictly speaking SNGs. They have a cap on the number of entrants and they begin as soon as they fill.

There's nothing special or unusual about an MTT cash. When I checked my records though I saw that this was my first MTT cash in 2009. I had gone 13 in a row with no cashes back to last December. That's the nature of MTT though. On a site like official poker rankings you'll notice that for even the biggest winners they have long soul crushing strings of zeros punctuated by the occasional cash and the more occasional big cash. But it's good to be in the money again in 2009.

I find UltimateBet has a pretty good tournament structure. Especially in the early levels there's more opportunity to play tight and wait for good hands. Although in the later stages when the blinds are increasing in larger chunks the 12 minute levels are a bit tougher. The fields are smaller than some of the huge tourneys on Stars but that means there's more regulars who you can recognize over time and get notes on.

No comments: