Saturday, March 28, 2009

won a tournament Stars $0.25/90

Last night I did something I'd never done before. I won a multi table tournament for the first time.

It wasn't much of a tournament. PokerStars $0.25/90. So only 10 tables. It took a little over 3 hours to take it down. Mostly I ran well against bad competition and caught some big hands at good times like a huge AA hand at the final table for a $100K pot. I cruised from there. Plus flopping sets and winning big with them is as valuable in tournaments as it is in the NL cash game.

I wasn't even trying to play in that tournament. I meant to register in a $2.20/90 but I wasn't paying attention and ended up in the $0.25 tournament. A good accident as it turns out since it turned out to be my first real MTT win. I've taken down real money 2 table tournaments before but this was a bigger event with all the real tournament stages of early play, the bubble, final table, last 3, and heads up.

Of course the competition is weak in this event, and the $6.20 award for winning isn't impressive, but still I'm glad to know now I can win. I'm done with the $0.25/90 and will be playing $2.20/90 which I'm bankrolled for. Hopefully I can run well there. I've got some unfinished business at the $2.20 as I lost heavily in the $2.20/180 turbos. I think the 10 minute blinds and 2000 starting stack is better suited to my style.

No comments: