Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Freerolls

Spring is the season for freerolls. On UltimateBet I'm playing in a WWE WrestleMania 25 freeroll. I cleared round 1 pretty easily and onto round 2 Sunday. The top 25% from round 2 get to the final round 3 for the big prize. My chances aren't good of course but it is fun trying. I hope I can at least reach the round 3 final.

Also on UB you can qualify for the WSOP main event for only 10 cents. But you have to win like 10 steps tournaments so I'll pass on that. I don't really care for sng anyway.

Last year PokerStars had a WSOP ME freeroll so I hope they do it again this year. Also on Stars the blogger freeroll should be coming up pretty soon. That's a good tournament to enter so I can hopefully play in that.

Freerolls are good fun. Some normally proper players choose to be silly in them. Plus of course the fields are dominated by play money people, people with bankroll in the single digits, and generally bad players. But I do try to play properly.

The competition tends to be weak. If you can catch some cards then usually you can do quite well against the many clueless and the donators. It's nice to experience some success even on that UB WWE round 1. I've been in a downswing for a while so a positive result is nice.

In addition to freeroll I've noticed some near freeroll Stars SNGs. There's a $0.10/360 turbo sng. I played a handful of them to work on some new turbo strategies. I cashed in about my 5th attempt and realized I still really don't enjoy turbos.

While I was scrolling to the bottom of the list I noticed a $0.25/90 and $2.20/90 sngs on Stars with 10 minute levels. That looks more interesting. A low buyin event with reasonable rake that has enough time to play properly and can finish in a good amount of time.

I'll give the $0.25/90 a try until I cash in one. It's a bit easier to cash than the $4.40/180s as 12 of 90 cash instead of 10% in the $4.40s. From there I plan to work the $2.20/90 until I can ever get my bankroll up to being able to play in the $4.40/180s. I'm glad Stars added these tournaments.

Plus as part of trying to break out of this blah downswing/break even spell I might try some more $10 NL on Stars. I had some success there in the past. Over on UB I'm still playing $0.25/$0.50 LHE trying to clear the bonus and bankroll remains precarious. I'm trying to think of some contingency plans for there if things don't start to turn around.

No comments: