Monday, November 06, 2006

6 max in the PokerStars micros

PokerStars has recently opened up 6 max tables in all of the micro stakes levels. Previously 6 max was only available for limit hold'em starting in the low stakes $0.50/$1.00.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It seems the full ring tables have become a bit tighter since the start of 6 max. People say that there's more bad players in 6 max, and that the $0.50/$1.00 full ring was not as good after 6 max was introduced at $0.50/$1.00.

I can understand why bad players would prefer 6 max. First of all on average you win one out of every 6 hands, instead of 1 in 10 in full ring. Bad players are more interested in winning hands than winning money so winning more frequently makes the game more satisfying to play.

Also with only 6 players, you can win a hand with much weaker holdings than full ring. In 6 max stuff like top pair, no kicker and middle pair can win at showdown more often than in full ring. This is great for bad players who love calling down with weak hands. Even less reason to fold.

I gave $0.10/$0.20 6 max a short try. I didn't care for it. I lost 18 BB in 22 hands without winning a hand. I didn't enjoy it, so I doubt I'll be trying it again.

So what to do? If large numbers of bad players have moved into 6 max, leaving the full ring tables less profitable, then I should make some adjustments.

I could learn to play and win on tighter tables. Up until now I've always been able to find loose tables at my level, but I should work on this some more.

Take more shots at $0.25/$0.50. I've got enough bankroll for the occasional shot at the next level. If I don't see a good table at $0.10/$0.20 but there is a $0.25/$0.50 table that looks promising, then play the table that looks most profitable.

Expand outside of limit. I enjoy limit, but it's good to explore other games as well that may be enjoyable and profitable. The $1.75 2 table tournaments have been profitable so far. They're fun to play, and take less than an hour to complete. It would be nice to get good enough at SNG to take a shot at the $6.50 2 table turbos.

Besides limit and sng, there's always the no-limit cash game. I could play $5 NL to start and see if that is enjoyable and profitable.

No comments: