Sunday, January 08, 2012

live and online bankroll

I've been thinking about bankroll a bit lately. I was thinking of joining another site. I still like PokerStars but was thinking of branching out. Alas PlayNow isn't yet open outside BC so I'll have to wait a bit to see if that will evolve for the better.

In any case it got me thinking there's no good reason to have all of my online bankroll at Stars. Especially after what happened back in April.

So I joined the 7%. I made a withdraw from PokerStars. It was a modest withdraw. It was mainly to confirm the mechanics of how these work and to confirm that I can get to my funds. The transaction was processed extremely promptly by PokerStars and everything went through in Canada no problem. So well done Stars. It gives me a lot of confidence going forward.

So that was encouraging. When the money arrived I put it into my bank account that has my live bankroll. I will keep live and online br separate. I did transfer an amount equal to the wd from the live side to the online side. I plan to remove most of my Stars bankroll in the coming months, just leaving enough for the levels I play with enough to withstand a typical downswing. I still plan to play on Stars, in fact probably more with the "matching" contributions from the live bankroll side.

The nice thing about getting online bankroll into my own bank account is I can use the same backing money on multiple sites. For example suppose I want to play $10 MTT on PokerStars and PartyPoker. If I use a 1% guideline that would suggest having $1000 on both sites. However the common backing bankroll can be used on both sites. For example with $1000 in my online bankroll in my own bank account. I could have just $100 on Stars and Party and be properly rolled to play $10 MTT on both sites.

1 comment:

dD said...

i think way too much about bankroll .. difficult not to when you only have a small one !!

gl bro, keep rinsing the fish :)