Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Getting Started in Hold'em

I recently read another poker book. It was Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller. It was pretty good.

At 200 pages with no equations it was an easier read than most 2+2 books. Which is what you would expect from a book targeting starting players. The content was good. Miller covers the key points while providing a good jumping off point to the more advanced 2+2 texts. Like many 2+2 titles the theme was more around live play which is fine with me. The section on limit hold'em was good. Also the collection of short essays in the miscellaneous topics at the end was a good read for pretty much any level of player.

So why would I read a starters book today after playing for a few years with at least break even success. Well there was a specific section in this book that I wanted to read. That was the part about short stack no limit. Miller describes this strategy well. So now I know a bit more about it. I thought it would be useful to know, it does fit into my plans around live play.

I've got a number of poker books lined up that I want to read. I'll be starting a new 2+2 title shortly.

1 comment:

SirFWALGMan said...

nice blog and thanks for the comment.