Monday, January 01, 2007

The inlaws may have quit poker

I think my two brothers in law on my wife's side have quit poker. One in law was on Absolute. Last year he said he was up 60 thousand play money at one time. A while later it was 30 thousand. He hasn't said hardly anything about it since.

The other in law was on PokerStars. He'd been playing for real money before I was. He said he was up and making cashouts. I thought he was pretty good from talking to him. But over the last few months he hasn't said much about poker. He used to always bring it up when we would meet at family gatherings. He said he'd moved from Stars to PokerRoom, but was complaining about crazy bad beats there. hmmm. Then when I asked him later he said he was on some different site I'd never heard of.

Over the holidays there were a couple of family gatherings that we were all at. They know I keep a hold'em set in my car so we had a couple of opportunities to play. We'd played a good bit over the holidays last year. But this year they never mentioned it and I didn't bring it up either.

Tonight at dinner my wife's mother mentioned about getting a fold up card table for the kids to sit at. My 8 year old boy said we could play poker there. He's a good boy. She agreed that you could play poker at such a table. Neither brother in law followed up on this.

After dinner we were sitting in the living room. We got talking about what we'd done over New Year's the night before. I mentioned we'd just stayed home. I said I played poker up to around 5 to 12 then came up to watch the countdown on ASN with my wife and son. I was a bit surprised neither of them took this opening to ask me non-commital stuff such as what site do I play, did I win while I played, what stakes am I playing, etc.

I'll have to write it here since nobody asked. I had a good session $0.25/$0.50 limit hold'em, around 45 minutes. The table was loose and passive. I had one good hand AA in late position, numerous limpers preflop, I raised and everyone called. The flop was K94 2 spades. UTG donked the flop, several called, I raised, everyone called. The turn was a non spade 8. Everyone checked, I bet, UTG checkraised uh oh, one called and the others folded, I considered folding but called with no good read on UTG. The river was a safe card, UTG led out, other guy folded, and I called getting 13:1. Villian showed AK for a weirdly played 2nd best hand, my Aces were good and I won seven bucks on the hand. Yay for me. Overall I was up around 6 dollars for the session, a nice way to end off 2006.

Too bad they seem to have quit poker. I was hoping to play some small buyin tournaments against them over the holidays.

No comments: