Friday, January 19, 2007

Got stacked

My preferred game is limit hold'em. Currently I'm playing $0.25/$0.50. When I don't see a table I like I look for a different game to play. The $1.75 2 table turbo tournaments have been running well for me. Sometimes I don't have time for a tournament or feel like one. So I've been looking for an alternative cash game.

I tried out some 6 max limit. I dropped down to $0.05/$0.10. I lost a bit, and found I didn't really get comfortable or enjoy the shorthanded game all that much. So instead I've given the no limit cash game a try.

I'm playing at the lowest level $2 NL, blinds $0.01/$0.02. Actually you can buy in for $5 but I'm not really comfortable yet putting that much in play. The players are pretty bad at that level. I'm finding it an enjoyable game, but it can be more challenging than limit, as opponents can put you in a difficult spot with a large bet.

So far I'm down a bit, a little bet less than a buy in. I haven't managed to stack anyone yet, but I did manage to get stacked myself on this hand.

Villian had been playing very erratically, making huge 3 bets and 4 bets all in preflop with stuff like KQ. When he pushed I figured he had some Kx or Qx or maybe an Ace. He might have a pocket pair but in that case I'd just be a slight underdog. I felt I was a favorite against his range. AK is about the only unpaired hand I'd call the donk all in preflop from a maniac.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: HTML)

Hero ($1.97)
Button ($2.34)
SB ($9)
BB ($0.83)
UTG ($1.77)
MP ($5.90)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Kc, Ad.

1 fold, MP raises to $5.9, Hero calls $1.97 (All-In), 3 folds.

Flop: ($3.97) 2h, 4d, Jh (2 players, 1 all-in)
Turn: ($3.97) Ah (2 players, 1 all-in)
River: ($3.97) 6h (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $3.97

Results :
MP has Qh 4h (flush, ace high).
Hero has Kc Ad (one pair, aces).

Outcome:
MP wins $3.97.


It turns out my read was good as he had Q4s. So my AK was a big favorite. Unfortunately he managed to suck out to stack me. No big deal, it happens. I think a made a good play getting the money in as a favorite. The risk was only a small fraction of my bankroll. That's what winning gambling is about, getting your money in with the best of it, while managing your bankroll to stay in the game if you experience negative short term variance.

This hand was like rolling the dice for $2. If it comes up 1,2,3,4 he gives me $2. If its a 5 or 6 then I give him $2. I lost $2 this time, but long term that's a profitable situation to be in.

No comments: