Thursday, May 22, 2008

PokerStars $2.20/180 tournament

I was looking for a low buyin MTT to play on PokerStars a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit surprised to see some new 20 table/ 180 player tournaments have been added.

There's now a turbo $2.20 180 man tournament. That looks promising with the $2.20 4 table sats to the Sunday Hundred apparently now gone. The buyin is right for my bankroll so I've tried out playing in some of them.

The standard of play is pretty bad. Opponents will stack off light both preflop and postflop. Of course when people call all in so often there will be more crazy beats and variance. KQ is the nuts in this tournament when it comes to calling an all in preflop. I can't believe how often I've seen people call all in with good stacks with KQ. The turbo format increases the randomness. Variance is great when you're stacking off bad players but bad when it knocks you out. From what I've seen this should be a profitable game to be in.

Although it seems it should be profitable, I haven't had much success yet. In 15 attempts I have just one cash, a 12th place. My ROI is -87%. The sample size is small but it may be a combination of running bad and not playing well. I may need to make some adjustments for push/fold mode with M in the range of 3-8. With the 10 and 15 minute levels I was used to there was more time when short stacked to wait for a pretty good hand to move all in with. I may need to open shove with a bit wider range and be more willing to gamble to keep my stack healthy even though I know opponents will call very light.

No comments: