Tuesday, April 15, 2008

back to the sit 'n go future

I’ve started playing a new sit ‘n go game. I’ve been playing the two table $5.50 sng on PokerStars.

I had kind of forgotten about sng for a while. I’ve been playing mostly limit hold’em cash game, sub $5 MTTs and some $4.40 180 player tournaments. I hit a downswing in the LHE so I was looking for a change of pace that doesn’t take as long as a big multi table tournament.

I played the $6.50 turbo 2 table sng with some success. Although I was profitable playing them I realized I wasn’t really enjoying them. The turbo format is a blessing and a curse. It can be tough when you’re constantly in push/fold preflop and the blinds going up so fast. Any small run of bad cards can threaten wipe you out very quickly.

So I’m trying out some $5.50. I used to play them around two years ago when I first switched to real money from play money. I didn't really have any clue about how to play and wasn't properly bankrolled for that level. I didn't experience much success and wisely gave up after a short attempt.

I read HOH I and II and went on two plus two and moved down to the $1.75 2 table turbos. I had some success there and moved up to the $6.50 2 table turbos. I was profitable at the $6.50 level as well so this is basically the same level. The quality of play is about the same and there are a good number of fish so it should be profitable.

The $5.50 has a slightly different structure. The levels are 10 minutes instead of the 5 minute levels in the turbos. They take around 1 1/2 hours to complete. The 10 minute levels [regular MTT levels are 15 minutes] is about right as there is more opportunity to play and outplay people. Still it finishes in a reasonable amount of time. The play around the bubble is pretty poor as some players become very weak tight attempting to just scrape into the money. That is a good opportunity to chip up and build a nice stack. Fourth is a false prize. I think you need to be gunning to finish in the top 2 where the payout is thick.

I've found the $5.50 2 table sng enjoyable so far. They are a nice change of pace from the cash game. I'm around break even over a small sample size. I hope I can run well and they'll be a source of bankroll profit.

No comments: