Saturday, April 07, 2007

Moving up, no limit cash

Well it's been a cycle of moving up. I've decided to move up in the no limit cash game. I'm going to try moving from the $2 NL to $5 NL level.

I had a slow start at $2 NL, dropping 3 buyins quickly. The slow start was caused by a mix of bad luck and some bad play by me. Since then I recovered and made some adjustments. I tightened up a bit preflop and found some more folds postflop (still a work in progress). My good hands started holding up better and I erased the initial defecit and now I'm up $6 or 3 buyins. My win rate was around 20 ptBB/100 hands over a small sample size.

As you'd expect the play is bad at $2 NL, really bad. People are calling preflop raises and 3bets with any two cards. Postflop people are remarkably willing to stack off with overpair, top pair, weak two pair, gutshot straight draw and flush draw. The level is pretty beatable but there's variance due to people calling down so much to stay in hands.

So on to $5 NL. That will be my new NL cash game home. I hope I can be successful there and slowly build up a somewhat respectable NL cash game. If not then I'll have to quit NL cash or just play $5 NL occasionally. I'm not going back to $2 NL. The play is just too bad there.

No comments: